- Why do you want to coach? (optimize performance, change behavior, etc.)
- Are you sure it needs to be addressed?
- What is the urgency?
- What will happen if this is not addressed?
- How can you turn this into a positive?
- Coaching should result in the employee recognizing how this change will impact them positively.
- Discuss the situation from your perspective, and what you see positive.
- Ask the employee for their perspective.
- Can they identify areas that should be improved?
- Can they suggest improvement action?
- Process does not exist.
- Process broken.
- Process not followed.
- Describe the difference between performance expectation and results.
- Use specific examples.
- How does this fit into the objectives of the team?
- How does it support the goals of the individual?
- Agree to an action plan.
- Use SMART goals.
- Set follow-up meeting.
- Be available for support.
Express confidence and trust.
Return to the Keys Page to see how to work through other issues with your team or individuals.
Success is One Click Away!Sign Up Now!
PMP is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
PMBOK is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.